New Star welcomes unsolicited manuscripts. We publish in the areas of social issues and politics; literary prose, both fiction and non-fiction, and poetry; and culture and history of British Columbia and the West. New Star also publishes Transmontanus, a series of short illustrated books about some of the more unusual aspects of life in a corner of the world currently known as British Columbia.
Please send your proposal by regular mail. New Star accepts simultaneous submissions, but we'd appreciate knowing that other publishers are looking at your work. We do not consider proposals sent by e-mail or fax, and we do not discuss book proposals on the phone. We do not consider unsolicited poetry.
Where to send your proposal
Proposals for the New Star list and for the Transmontanus series should be sent directly to New Star's editorial offices in Vancouver:
New Star Books
107 – 3477 Commercial St.
Vancouver, BC V5N 4E8
What to send
- Typed, double-spaced, single-sided pages
- FICTION: full manuscript with a query letter
- NON-FICTION: full manuscript with a query letter, or full outline & sample chapters with a query letter
What to include
- Big enough self-addressed stamped envelope for return of manuscript, or indicate we can destroy it if not interested
- Mention that other publishers are also considering the manuscript, if this is the case
What NOT to send / include
- Disks of any type
- Faxed queries / manuscripts
- Poetry manuscripts
- Originals of photos or illustrations
Please allow anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months from time of receipt. Our editorial committee meets about once every six to eight weeks to consider proposals. If your book is accepted, it will be at least one year before it is published.
Also worth knowing
- If you're uncertain whether we're the right place to approach, and want to avoid the expense of mailing your whole manuscript unnecessarily, please mail us a letter describing it.
- Due to the volume of manuscripts we get, we are unable to respond with critiques of rejected manuscripts. Nor do we refer manuscripts or authors to other publishers.